Fathers day is on the 18th of June so for Top Ten Tuesday we can do anything we like re fathers. I have decided to do what I am sure is going to be the most popular option and talk about the best and worst fathers in literature.
- Atticus Finch – From to Kill a Mockingbird – He gives his kids enough space to be explore and get themselves into trouble but he also sets a good example in defending Tom Robinson, a black man wrongly accused of rape when defending a black man was not a popular thing for a white man to do.
- Cullyn of Cerrmor from the Deverry Books by Katherine Kerr – He is one of my favorite characters from my fave fantasy series. A mercenary soldier fathers a child by a tavern maid and when she dies takes his daughter on the long road with him out of necessity.
- Mrs Madrigal from the Tales of the City books by Armistead Mauplin – An elderly transsexual landlady living on Russian Hill in San Fransisco, fathers Mona whist he was still a man and admittely, he wasn’t the best of fathers whilst Mona was small but he/she tries to make up for it later on. (admittedly none of this is revealed till way into the series so sorry for the spoiler)
- Arther Weasley – The obligatory Harry Potter choice, Fun, Daring and with silly obsessions. What more would you need in a father.
- Hans Hubermann from The Book Thief by Markus Zusak – He is an adoptive parent but he is the perfect antidote to his wife’s brusqueness and is what every father should be. Ohh and the book is way better than the film IMO.
- Mr Wormwood from Matilda by Roal Dahl – A dishonest used car salesman who thinks too much of himself and completely misses his daughter’s brilliance. What more can I say.
- Jack Torrance from the Shining by Stephen King – Admittedly I haven’t read the book only seen the movie but all the same. Axe wielding psychopaths don’t make for the best parents.
- Craster from the Game of Thrones books by George RR Martin – He offers all the boy children to the white walkers and then marries all of his daughters and keeps on having more kids.
- Celie’s Pa from the Colour Purple by Alice Walker – He got his daughter pregnant twice by the time she was 14 and then married her off to some random man. Despicable scum of a man if you ask me.
- Gottfried Vanger – From the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by – I am not going to go into details because it will be an immense spoiler but for anybody who remembers the end of this book/movies…